Sunday, November 19, 2006

52 Sundays A Year

It seems to always happen to me.

I take a week off from standing in front of the people I have led in worship now for some 13 years, and things are so much more real when I return.

Today, I watched people's faces like I always do. On the one hand, you can tell alot from watching people's faces - on the other hand, don't trust what you see.

Through the years, I have been blessed to have the extraordinary privilege of knowing some really incredible people - people who are so amazing - not just what they do, but who they are.

One of those people is Andy Stanley. Some other time, I will blog about how we met, but for now, I want to write words he has written because they so much articulate what I feel EVERYTIME I stand before the people of my church and lead them in worship.

These are very real observations, and very sobering at the same time.........please ponder as I ponder......and it makes me wonder what is really going on in the lives of those who occupy space in the pews each week........

"Every single person who sits politely and listens to you on Sunday is one decision away from moral, financial, and marital ruin. Every one of 'em. Many are considering options with consequences that will follow them the remainder of their lives.

There are husbands teetering on the brink of unfaithfulness. Wives whose schedules are un-sustainable. Couples who are drowning in a sea of debt. Teenagers who are there because their parents forced them to come. Young men who have been told they are gay. Young ladies who have been told their worth goes no further than their physical beauty.

There they sit. Silent. Waiting. Hoping. Doubting. Anticipating. What are we going to do?
What are you going to do? What are you going to say?

This is the world we have been called to address. These are the issues we have been called to confront. There is much at stake. There are many at risk."