Friday, May 05, 2006

Do You Know This Man?


Probably not, but you might recognize his name, and you certainly know his legacy.....

(man, I wish I had his hair!)

This guy was an amazing songwriter in his time.....to be more specific, he was an extraordinarily prolific hymnwriter. Today, fewer hymns are being sung in churches and as a result, a new generation of worshippers is growing up possibly missing out on the depth and lasting effects of necessary theology on/in their lives. Well, this guy made sure that was not the case when he was around to make a difference.

Do you know any of these songs?

At The Cross
I Sing The Mighty Power Of God
Jesus Shall Reign
Joy To The World
We're Marching To Zion
O God Our Help In Ages Past
When I Can Read My Title Clear
When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

He wrote these and at least 490 more. He preached his first sermon at age 24, and his studies were impressive to say the least.

So, today I salute you,
Isaac Watts - you are an inspiration to many, and thank you for hearing from God and creating songs that the people of God are still singing some 300+ years later........wow!