Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hairball - So Many


I hate to admit this, but I don't like Tuesdays very much. For the most part, they are filled with meetings, most of which don't agree with me. I confess my lack of willingness to accept Tuesdays as "part of the job", but they are painful.

This confession is not meant to point fingers or place blame with anyone. I am blessed to work with skilled, qualified, and enjoyable people, and I am "seasoned" enough to recognize that meetings are just once again "part of the job". It just has to do with me.

I read this book several years ago, and I guess I am "doomed" to read it annually - just to keep my perspective. There is something that is just plain inherent about places like where I work that can for the most part be described as a "hairball".

There are so many things to do, so many expectations, so many demands, so many meetings, so much paperwork, so many e-mails, so many needs, so many prayers to be prayed, so many praises, so many dark places, so many secrets, so many hurts, so many ridiculous complaints, so many unreasonable people who remind me God loves everyone, and so many people involved in so many varying types of ministries, programs, events, and "causes"......well, it just gets downright overwhelming at times....and Tuesdays seem to magnify this in my life......

Please do not misunderstand me - I have an uncomfortable feeling that this is what it is like when we are called to minister within the local Church. I guess I just needed to whine a bit, not really knowing why and what it will accomplish, if anything.

My heart tells me that at the end of the day that God gave me as a gift, I am very much needing to thank Him for it - even for the meetings I did not want to sit through, for the things I loved about it, and even for the things that made me weary and sad.......