Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Faith vs. Bravery

Anyone in ministry knows and relates to this statement -

[I have a friend who is dealing with a very difficult situation in their life.]

Well - I do - I have a friend who is dealing with a very difficult situation in their life.

This week, when I reminded them of the depth of their faith (which is evident to all and immense comparatively speaking), and that their faith in God would help them get through this difficulty - their response threw me.

They said, "I know I have faith - I'm just not brave."

WOW!

All week, I have been pondering that comment. How can that be - to have faith, but not be brave? Are we to assume that just because our faith is deep and strong, that we can't still be afraid? What does it mean that we are fearful and filled with faith? Is that not a contradiction in terms?

I know - I am supposed to have more answers than questions, but right now - and particularly in this situation - I must admit I have more questions than answers.

I do know this - my friend is counting on me (and many others) to "pray them through" this situation. I think my prayers will begin with, Lord, help my friend to be brave......