Friday, November 14, 2008

24 Days

I will always remember Father's Day of this year for two reasons:

1. It was my son's first Father's Day
2. I had the privilege of hearing one of my favorite preacher's final sermons

On June 15 of this year, while on my sabbatical, I attended Brentwood United Methodist Church (a few blocks away from my church) to hear Dr. Howard Olds preach. Dr. Olds had cancer, and he would be retiring two weeks later - knowing his death was eminent. Even on that Sunday, you could tell there was a stronger sense of urgency in his failing voice and energy level.

He preached his final sermon entitled, "Don't Stop" on June 29.

He died 24 days later.

This past week, I was finally able to obtain a copy of that sermon, and I listened to it.

Go HERE and do the same.

In October 2006, I blogged about what I was reading at that time - Gordon MacDonald's book - A Resilient Life. Since writing that book, he has been asked to speak at various gatherings of (of all things) worship leaders and pastors.

He challenges those who listen to him to plan and lead as if it were the last time you will plan and lead. I can't help but think about Dr. Olds.

He knew, and he did......