Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesdays and Lists

It's just another Tuesday - or is it?

This past Saturday, our pastor performed the wedding ceremony of one of his 23-year old twin sons. In his "talk", he referred to the Tuesdays of life. He talked about how normal they are, how routine they are, even how mundane and boring they can be, but also how extraordinary they can be when two people who have been called by God agree (in the sacred bond of holy matrimony) to lives their together for His glory.

This Tuesday morning, I am pondering those words that Mike spoke last Saturday.

Like you, alot is going on my life these days, and if you know me - I make lists - all kinds of lists - all the time - I always have one in my pocket....not sure why - just do....

So, here's my Tuesday list:

1. I am praying for my two friends currently in South Africa doing some incredible work with some of my most favorite people in the world - so wishing I were there with them...

2. I am praying for my friend, John Thomas who as I write this is giving Michael W. Smith a guided tour of the various ministries he and his amazing team are involved in there in Cape Town

3. I am praying for my dear friend who was diagnosed with MS just a few weeks ago. As I visited briefly with him last evening (in what I believe was not just random, but rather a God-arranged connection) at the Publix, I saw in his eyes both signs of weariness and peace. I admire his faith more than I can put into words...

4. I am praying for my oldest son and his wife who are expecting Elliott Benjamin anyday now - at least that is what I am told. I don't know how to prepare them for what is next, but God does.....heck, I don't know how to be a grandfather, either for that matter......

5. I am praying for my two sons dealing with high school - the highs and lows of being almost 18 and just turning 15......what college to attend next year - how to do well enough in my classes to get to my junior year - how to live out my faith when everything around me tells me I can't.....or shouldn't......

6. I am praying for my parents whom I don't see nearly enough - the sometimes guilt I feel for that - the pain of separation from them - the amazing range of emotions that I feel when I am with them as I watch my sister become the parent to them in how she cares for them - I felt some of that this past weekend as we spent some absolutely fantastic moments together - enjoying blessing after blessing that God has graciously given to us.....I am thankful for my sister's love and care

7. I am praying for my wife who keeps order in our home and protects family and constantly prioritizes the things that really do matter around here - and she still manages to have one of the most exhilarating and rewarding, but time-consuming jobs that anyone could imagine. I don't know how she does it, and I don't do nearly a good enough job of helping and supporting her.

8. I pray for my church. I don't thank God nearly enough for the following -
that I serve in a church that worships God, teaches scripture, gives to and supports missions, cares for the sick, poor, and needy, values families and the discipleship of kids, raises up leaders, and equips the next generation. May I focus more on that than the stuff of politics, bureaucracy, and strife.

9. I pray for those with whom I serve and lead - their lives are just as complex as mine, and many are brutally more troubled and devasting unfortunately. I don't know how they manage except for God moving and working and reminding and loving and caring and listening and healing. Praise be to Him!

10. I pray for the my son's friend who is sleeping in the room next to me as I write this. He's on fall break from college, and likes to stay here. I am glad he likes it here. His parents are no longer married to each other, and while he will see them on his break, he likes it here - that is because of what I said earlier about Karla's priorities of making this home a home.....

11. I pray for my friend, Ify and his family who are wrestling with so many things right now. The weight of their pain is evident. I so pray that somehow God can receive glory in all of this, but that is so very difficult to see right now. May God give them strength to endure, to live through this, to make very, very difficult decisions, to trust Him more when there is no strength left to trust......may those who have surrounded them with love and support realize the need for yet another "round" of a deeper level of love and support....
_____________________________

If you have made it this far in your reading, I encourage you to make a Tuesday list.....then keep it throughout the week.....

Make sure that every item on your list can somehow end up bringing attention and honor to God.......that really is all that will matter when we no longer make lists or have anymore Tuesdays......