Thursday, May 24, 2007

I May Be The Only Person


in America who does not watch American Idol.

I had lunch with a friend in the music business last week. He asked me if I watched it, and I had to confess that I don't. He said he didn't either until this year. Then he told me why.

Among other extremely popular artists that he manages, he also represents the person in this photo. Jordin Sparks is 23 days younger than my middle son, Matt. My friend has managed her "singing career" since she was (14). Needless to say, he has done well.

I laughed when he told me that he had encouraged her to audition for American Idol if only for the experience. Who knew she would win it all and become famous at (17).

I laughed even more when he told me that by encouraging her to audition for American Idol and now winning, he worked himself out of a job. Evidently, Simon gets to manage the winners on American Idol, so too bad for my friend.

What a crazy world we live in where a show with people singing on it is the number 1 rated television show in America......

I don't think that ever happened with Lawrence Welk! (OK, I really am old!)

entertainment and idols.........what a strange combination.......