Sunday, July 24, 2011
The BEST Thing About Plot Device
To say that the past 27 days (for our family) have been the wildest of wild rides would be a huge understatement.
When RED GIANT launched Seth’s short film, PLOT DEVICE on-line at the end of the day on Tuesday, June 28, I don’t think anyone could have predicted the whirlwind of activity and attention that would surround this film. Having never experienced anything like this, I am pretty much numb. As a good friend told me recently, “regardless of what may or may not happen for Seth and/or others as a result of this, just enjoy it - ride the wave for as long as it will last….”
So, I decided to blog about it and call it “The BEST Thing About Plot Device” - because as you will see, there are plenty of things that have happened that could be the “best” thing, but I have selected what I believe is without question THE Best thing about Plot Device.
Before I get to that, here are some pretty significant “honorable mentions”…..
1. More than 200 different websites have featured Plot Device on their main page
2. Among my favorites are THIS ONE and THIS ONE, and THIS ONE!
3. Seth and Ben’s response to THIS WEBSITE that tracks “pirated” (illegal) music downloads when they learned this site was tracking illegal downloads of the Plot Device Soundtrack - “wow - that’s so awesome that we are getting ripped-off!” - (don’t ask - I don’t get it either!)
4. More than 520,000 views of Plot Device on VIMEO - (and another 29,000 on YouTube)
5. More than 500 different people (with well over 2 million combined followers) have tweeted about Plot Device on Twitter
6. Seth’s recent trip to Los Angeles where he met with representatives from (7) different talent agencies in Hollywood and the trip culminating in finding out that a very high profile TV/Film Producer watched Plot Device, loved it, and wants to meet with Seth!
OK - so all of that is pretty awesome and could easily be the BEST thing about Plot Device, but what follows is absolutely THE best thing about Plot Device:
Ben recently received this e-mail from a 9-year old boy:
Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 6:22pm
Dear Mr. Worley,
I am nine years old and a fan. I decided to make a Lego Plot Device scene and show it to you. I hope you like it. I like your short films! My Dad is sending this for me and he likes your films too.
(last name omitted in this blog post out of respect for this boy and his family)
P.S. I hope you will share this with Seth Worley (we couldn't find an email address for him).
BEN’S RESPONSE TO ALEX
OH. MY. GOSH.
I can't tell you how much this means to me. This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I actually used to play with Legos as a kid! I would always buy the star wars Lego sets and then combine them to make cooler ones. I also had Lego Studios AND most of the Harry Potter sets!
Anyways, I want you to know that this is HANDS DOWN the best email I've ever received.
Thank you so much for being what I believe to be my first real fan. Don't ever give up your Legos, they will ALWAYS be cool.
And you will always be cool.
Here is a photo of 9-year old Alex’s Lego Plot Device scene - AMAZING - and by far, THE BEST thing about Plot Device